On June 7th, over 50 CFF members gathered at Project Farmhouse for the 6th CFF Annual Gathering. Delicious Puerto Rican food was supplied by Liberation Cuisine, with drinks sponsored by Port Morris Distillery and Bronx Beer Hall. The evening featured a presentation by East New York Farms!, our 2018 CFF Champions Award recipient, and a keynote panel on food system issues in Puerto Rico with frontline activists from the island.
East New York Farms! was represented by David Vigil, Program Director, and Johanna Willins, co-founder, whose presentation can be seen in the video below, and is available for download here. ENYF is celebrating their 20th anniversary this year, and made a special video to commemorate their work.
In a departure from past years’ keynotes, this year we featured a discussion with the following panelists:
- Giovanni Roberto, organizer, Center for Political, Educational and Cultural Development (CDPEC)
- Ana Elisa Pérez-Quintero, Agroecological farmer and co-founder/director of La Colmena Cimarrona–
- José Jorge Díaz Ortiz, Founder and Artistic Director, AgitArte
- Gabriela Álvarez (moderator), Chef and Founder, Liberation Cuisine
Each panelist brought their own unique perspective to the immediate and long-term issues Puerto Ricans are dealing with in the face climate change and political limbo, and how those manifest in the food system. Ana Elisa brought the voice of a farmer, while Giovanni represented organizations working on food distribution and access, and Jorge brought the political lens of an artist and activist. For more info about each of the groups see the links above, and check out a recent video made about Giovanni’s work with CDPEC, and an innovative new enhanced CSA model for holistic wellness in partnership with Gabriela called Bundles of liberation. Additionally, take a look at the great work of Naomi Klein in her new book, The Battle For Paradise: Puerto Rico Takes on the Disaster Capitalists.
Thank you to all who came out and made it a special night!
You can view all photos from the event online. Below is a video of the night’s speakers including both presentations. The following time markings can be used to find specific moments:
- Start – Welcome by Jennifer Ching, Executive Director of North Star Fund
- 1:45 – Overview by CFF Co-Chairs, Kellie Terry and Natasha Lifton
- 6:30 – Introduction of CFF Champion Award recipient, East New York Farms!
- 9:10 – East New York Farms! presentation by David Vigil and Johanna Willins
- 24:05 – Remarks by Adam Liebowitz, Community Food Funders Director
- 30:35 – Keynote panel discussion with Gabriela Álvarez, Ana Elisa Pérez-Quintero, Giovanni Roberto, and José Ortiz
- 1:06:40 – Q&A